Assessment is a continuous process. Assessment can be done in a formal and informal way. But at the entry stage students just enter the school, so we should prefer the more informal way of assessment. Assessment at the foundational age should be activity based and without any burden. Further, we are dealing with tiny tots, assessment should be stress-free and observation based. These assessments are to be done using Multiple qualitative Observations. The strategies and activities that can plan, adopt, and implement to assess entry-level students at foundational age are as follow.
- Observe the child on day to day basis.
- Record the observation. Plan activities as per the level of the students.
- Learning outcomes can be given, we can be incorporated that learning outcome in the curricular transaction to conduct the midterm assessment.
- Activity-based learning is incorporated with day-to-day life teaching.
- Introduced toy-based learning for an effective teaching-learning process.
- Video making on a particular topic.
- Use of multimedia for teaching and learning process.
Activities to assess Oral Language Ability
- Poem recitation
- Small storytelling
- Role Play
- Picture description (level-wise)
- Talking and walking
- Toy talk
- Small video making on the given topic.
activities to assess Writing Ability :
- Picture Name
- Play a game with pictures
- Identification (Alphabets/Hindi Varnmala)
- Word Formation
- List making
- Labeling the objects
- Self-introduction (2-3 small sentences).
- Answer with the help of pictures.
- Draw your favorite fruit or vegetable or any other things. Write a few sentences
about how you assess your Reading Ability. some activities.
- Picture Reading
- Textbook reading
- Rhyming words
- Chain game
- Words Reading
- Simple Sentence Reading
- Read and pronounce common words/sentences.
- Encourage to develop a daily reading habit
- Use of print media, Wrapper label reading, heading of a chapter, signboard, etc.
Activities to assess Numeracy Skills
- Use of concrete objects to develop counting skills. Video making.
- Measurement with the help of various objects.
- Using Flashcards.
- Poems/Rhymes related to numbers.
- With the help of different models of shapes, Children can recognize basic geometrical shapes. Co relations with day-to-day life.
- Children can add or subtract using fingers or sticks.
- Concept of Tens and ones using bundles of sticks.
- Time concept using the model clock.
Monitoring schedule for implementation of assessment
Assessment in planned way can ensure holistic development of the child by focusing on different domains of development.
- Physical and motor development
- Socio-emotional development
- Literacy and numeracy development
- Cognitive development
- Life skills etc.
We can schedule three assessments for the whole year. Propose planning
ENTRY LEVEL ASSESSMENT – JULY TO SEPTEMBER
MID-TERM ASSESSMENT – OCTOBER TO DECEMBER
YEAR-ENDING ASSESSMENT – JANUARY TO MARCH
Propose activities to plan assessment at entry level-MID TERM & YEAR END
You as a teacher can use all these ideas to assess them well in different criteria. Holistic development is most focused nowadays, As a teacher, we should try to provide such activities which help us to develop all the domine mentioned above. Further, these activities can indirectly help you to assess the child well. You can read these articles to get more ideas about various activities.
If you want detail examples for the assessment activities mentioned above, let me know in the comment box. I hope this article serve the purpose and help you to assess your child in hlistic way.